Goodwood Saints (1.3, 9.5, 11.7, 15.10)100 V GAZA (4.3, 5.3, 8.5, 9.9) 63 

Best Players
Reu, Chyer, Siviour, Ploenges, Whelan, Zilm, Goodman.

Goal Kickers
Wells 6, Siviour 4, Grigg 3, Clarke, Wallace.

Match Summary
The Saints started the 1990 A2 Grand Final at Thebarton Oval as a nervous favourite. Gaza came out full of running to open up a handy 3 goal lead at quarter time. Having secured promotion to A1 the Saints were keen to show the higher grade that they would be a force at that level.

The 2nd quarter belonged to the Saints. Tim Zilm in the ruck started the charge giving first use of the ball to All Australian rover David Whelan. Coach Warren Ploenges came into the game and forward pocket Chris Siviour with 4 goals for the quarter set the standard. Stuart Wells at full forward was proving a handful too and 8 goals to 1 for the quarter saw the Saints scoot away to a handy 26 point lead at the long break.

A tight 3rd quarter followed with Gaza outscoring the Saints and cutting the lead to just 20 points at the final change. Darren Chyer at centre half back was proving impenetrable and with small forwards Darren Grigg and Captain Bret Goodman proving damaging the Saints went in confident of securing the victory.

Coach Ploenges took the 3 quarter time speech to a new level and with just 30 minutes to play the Saints could almost feel the Cup in their hands. Young utility Danny Reu continued his fine match in the final quarter and the Saints withstood the best Gaza had to offer. A four goal to one quarter saw the final siren sound on a glorious 37 point victory to the Saints. Wells continued his fine season with 6 goals at full forward whilst Siviours 4 goal 2nd quarter was vital in a fine display.

Coach Ploenges and rover Whelan were terrific all day whilst Darren Griggs 3 goals proved invaluable When Goodman and Ploenges lifted the Cup it was a just reward for a fine season and the Saints moved forward to the uncharted waters of A1 with a quite air of confidence and optimism.